Friday, December 4, 2009


Sorry its been so long since the last post.  I finally had time to take a look at the blog and realized we stopped blogging on November 19th. 

On Friday November 20th, we did some last minute shopping of the craft/souvenir stands nears the SDA and were told to come to the US Embassy at 2pm.  It was a dreary, rainy day and literally we were running around picking up last minute gifts for our translator and the Doctor who performed the kids Embassy medical exams.  We arrived at the Embassy in record time and went in and waited.  We were the first people there, but somehow ended up 3rd in line.  We finally walked out of there with VISAs in hand at 4pm.  We were supposed to meet Lev and Elena at the SDA at 4 to show the kids to Maria and the others who work in the SDA office.  We had to rush there through traffic and pick up some bouquets as well.  It was a very hectic day for our last full day in Ukraine. After showing the kids off at the SDA, I did a little bit more shopping for keepsakes for the kids and then we went to dinner at Pizza Celantano.

We put the kids to bed as soon as we got home because we had to be up at 2am to get ready to leave for the airport at 3am.  Andrew and I did last minute packing and organizing, took showers and fell asleep at 10pm.  Two o'clock came way too early.  We woke up and woke the kids up, got dressed, and ate a bit of breakfast.  Andrew had the bright idea to give them grape juice.  Well, Aidan spilled it all over his pants, so we had to change his pants, rinse out his old pants and find a shopping bag to place them in.  Luda came with the driver at three and we took the luggage downstairs as quietly as possible.  We loaded it up and my OCD required me to review the packed luggage and count all the pieces before we loaded ourselves up and headed to the airport.    We made it there it record time because there was no traffic. 

We checked in at the airport made it through security and passport control.  We did have to wait awhile for the passport officers to review our adoption decree and make a photocopy.  The kids were getting a little antsy.  We finally made it to the terminal and waited a bit until boarding.  We were flying from Kyiv to Frankfurt at 5:35 am.  We boarded on the tarmac.  We had a 3 hour flight to Frankfurt, where we then had a 5 hour layover until we left for Philadelphia.  The kids were exhausted as well as Mama and Papa.  Somehow we made it through the 5 hours and we were on the last leg home.  The 9 hour flight was very trying and stressful because the kids were cranky and sleepy.  We made it to Philly went through immigration in 1.5 hours and then drove home for another 2 hours.  We got home around 8:30 and were up and traveling for a total of about 23 hours.  I was so happy to see my sister and Jason at the airport.  Most of our families were at the house and we spent an hour or two with them.  We were all exhausted.

We went to bed around 10:30 and everyone slept until 8:30.  Luckily we didn't have too much jet lag.  The kids naps throughout the day let them stay awake this long.   The kids love their new rooms!  We'll have to post pics.

Andrew was back to work on Monday and I found out the same day I had to have surgery on Dec 2. 

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving on Thursday.  We had so very much to be thankful for.  Friday we had our huge Welcome Home Party.  It was absolutely fabulous and everyone put so much thought and time into throwing us a wonderful party.  The kids loved it!  Thank you everyone for coming and for all of your thoughtful gifts, they are much appreciated by us all. 

We spent the last two weeks getting into a routine and starting our family life.  Wednesday I had surgery and what was supposed to be outpatient surgery turned into an overnight stay at the hospital.  I am at home recovering and all of our family has pitched in to help while I am recovering and Andrew is back at work!  Thanks Everyone.

We are looking forward to Christmas and sharing this special holiday time with our children.  We have been blessed!

We will post some pics!


Drew, Michelle, Luke and Sage said...

Welcome home! Get better and then post some pictures! Let us know how the kids are adjusting! It must be nice for them to be able to communicate with each other still. Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather, Andres and the angels...
You are all a beautiful family and what a wonderful blessing all the way around. I have loved being able to share in your journey a little this way and look forward to witnessing God's goodness in your lives, in the days to come. I hope I get to meet you all soon.

Congratulations and well done...:-)